Tineyi Mawocha Image Credit: HalfTimeTalent.com
|Born||Tineyi Emmanuel Mawocha|
December 20, 1964
|Education||Masters in Development Finance - University of Stellenbosch Business School|
Masters in Business Administration (MBA) - University of Zimbabwe
HND in Hotel & Catering Management - Hotel School Zimbabwe, Bulawayo Polytechnic
|Alma mater||Ellis Robins|
|Years active||1990 - present|
|Employer||Urwego Opportunity Bank (Rwanda)|
|Spouse(s)||Gail Mawocha (nee Cummings)|
|Children||Iwani Zoe, Tinaye Emeka, Eddie and Langa Bakhuluma-Ncube|
|Relatives||Tydings Mike Mawocha|
|Awards||University Book Prize - Univesity of Zimbabwe|
Tineyi Mawocha is a Zimbabwean banker and hotelier who is currently based in Rwanda and heading Urwego Opportunity Bank, a registered commercial bank that focuses on micro-finance. He has been at the helm of a number of financial institutions both in Zimbabwe and in the region.
Tineyi Emmanue Mawocha was born on 20 December 1964 in Harare, Zimbabwe. He grew up in Mufakose where he would do high schooling at Mufakose High School then Ellis Robins Boys High. He is married to Gail Mawocha (nee Cummings) and together they have 4 children.
- Masters in Development Finance - University of Stellenbosch Business School
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA) - University of Zimbabwe, Graduate School of Business
- HND in Hotel & Catering Management - Hotel School Zimbabwe, Bulawayo Polytechnic
Mawocha has worked extensively in the financial industry since 2000 but the banker was initially in the hotel and catering field. He tells of how he accidently joined the banking field after attaining his MBA and even after turning down the job, Standard Bank would insist on him taking up the appointment.
- Urwego Opportunity Bank (Rwanda) (CEO) Apr 2014–Present
- Afrasia Bank Limited (CEO) Jan 2014 – Mar 2014. He states "capitalisation challenges" as his reasons for leaving this job after 3 months only.
- Tetrad Investment Bank (Managing Director) Oct 2012 – Dec 2014
- Standard Bank Swaziland (CEO) Dec 2005 – Sep 2012
- Standard Bank South Africa (Director – Branch Network) Jan 2003 – Dec 2005
- Standard Bank South Africa (Area Business Manager) Aug 2001 – Dec 2002
- T.A. Holdings (Consultant) Jan – May 2001
- Nando’s t/a Innscor East Africa/ Nairobi, Kenya (CEO) Aug 1998 to Dec 2000
- Nando’s / Innscor Africa Joint Venture (Regional Development Director) Jan 1998 – Aug 1998
- Nando’s Zimbabwe (Managing Director) Jan 1995– Dec 1997
- Zimbabwe Sun Hotels (Unit General Manager) Jul 1994 - Dec 1994
- Monomatapa Hotel (Deputy General Manager) 1990 - 1994
- Best Middle Manager of the Year award 1993.
- Awarded the DBSA Award for top student in the Masters in Development Finance course at Stellenbosch University.
- Awarded the USB Achievement Award for top performance in Small-scale Enterprises Development.
- 2006/9 recipient of the Bank of the Year award for 4 consecutive years - The Banker magazine.
- Appointed Chairman of SADC Banking Association - representing all SADC banks at the committee of SADC Central Bank Governors.
- Appointed Chairman of Swaziland Bankers Association
- Tineyi Mawocha likes to keep a very low profile, with no social media except WhatsApp & LinkedIn
- He is highly fond of Mufakose where he grew up.
- Banking on Success, USB.AC.co.za, Published: 2010, Retrieved: 1 Mar 2015