ZAPU Prepares For An Elective Congress4 years ago
ZAPU is expected to hold its third elective Congress since pulling out of the Unity Accord with Zanu PF in 2009.
Dumiso Dabengwa has been on the helm of the party since then.
The inaugural congress of the party was in 2010 where Dabengwa was chosen as the substantive president. Since the pullout, he had been president on interim basis. He retained the presidency at the second congress in early 2016.
ZAPU’s Deputy Secretary for International Relations, Future Msebele confirmed the party was transforming itself.
Are you a Civil Servant or Pensioner in Zimbabwe?
Get a smartphone 📱 on Zero Deposit. 24 hours to process.
The upcoming Party Congress will definitely set the tone in that direction. We are in the process of modernising and restructuring the party to meet the current and future challenges. We want to integrate technology into the process of field organising and mobilising. We are building from the base we have to simply modernising it.
There have been growing concerns over Dabengwa’s health and age lately.
Inadequacy of resources forced ZAPU to postpone its Congrss in 2015. The party has been blaming the government for not returning its property seized in the 1980s.
- Govt Will Not Return Zapu Properties Taken Before Gukurahundi- Ziyambi
- ZAPU Leader, Dabengwa “In High Spirits” At His Home In South Africa After Health Scare- Party Spokesperson
- Mnangagwa Rally Explosion Bid By Zanu-PF To Tarnish Matebeleland Province: ZAPU
- Dabengwa Dismisses Mugabe’s Claims That Zapu, Ndebeles Were Responsible For Gukurahundi
- Zapu Sides With Zanu-PF On Gukurahundi, Accuses Civic Society Groups Of Commercialising The Issue