LIST: Zimbabwean Journalists Who Died In 2020
A number of Zimbabwean journalists have died since the beginning of the year with some succumbing to the coronavirus. We present below a list of journalists who died this year.
- Peter Johns – a former disc jockey for radio 3, now PowerFM, died in April in the United Kingdom where he was now based.
- Ray Matikinye – a former editor at the Daily News reportedly collapsed and died at his home in Bulawayo in April.
- Gift Phiri – Daily News’ Gift Phiri succumbed to cancer at Harare hospital in April.
- Godwin Muzari – Died in September. He was a reporter with The Herald, a daily publication under the Zimbabwe Newspapers (Zimpapers) stable. He was 40. The former Herald Entertainment Editor was found dead on Friday at his Retreat, Waterfalls, residence in a suspected case of suicide. Muzari’s elder brother, Bishop Israel Muzari, said he found the body of his brother hanging in a room.
- Zororo Makamba – the 30-year-old son of former ZANU PF member and businessman, James Makamba, collapsed at Wilkins Hospital, an institution designated for infectious diseases. It was later confirmed he succumbed to the novel coronavirus. He was the first officially confirmed Zimbabwean coronavirus death.
- Charles Laiton -The Newsday Senior Court reporter succumbed to a kidney ailment at Parirenyatwa Hospital on 21 December.
- Augustine Moyo – The former Sunday Mail Business Editor died in May aged 38. Moyo died this after being admitted at a local hospital following a freak accident at a shopping centre in Harare.
- Walter Mswazi – The Zimpapers’ Masvingo Correspondent died in March at Makurira Memorial Clinic, Masvingo, where he was being treated for meningitis. His younger brother confirmed his death.
- Janet Munyaka – The 48-year-old Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) veteran journalist died this month at Harare’s St Anne’s hospital where she was seeking medical attention for Covid-19.
- Foster Dongoza – The renowned journalist and Zimbabwe Union of Journalists secretary-general succumbed to COVID-19 this month. He had been sent to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals for the treatment of a heart ailment prompting his family to conclude that he had succumbed to the heart ailment. His medical report confirmed he had died of the novel virus.
- Tendai Ndemere – The veteran sports journalist and former Dynamos player’s death came just a day after the death of Charles Laiton. Details about his death are still sketchy.
- Patrick Langwana – He was a newsreader for ZiFM Stereo. He read the news in Ndebele. He died on 9 January 2020 after a short illness.