'Thieves Are Those Who Have Invaded ZIFA House', Says Kamambo
Suspended ZIFA board members say they are ready to stand trial and clear their names following their suspension by the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) in November 2021 on a litany of allegations.
The five are in court accused of abusing the ZIFA letterhead, writing letters claiming to be the executive members yet they were on suspension.
They have been pushing for their trial but the State has been seeking postponements on the pretext of completing investigations.
On Friday, prosecutor Anesu Chirenje sought another postponement to September saying the docket had been sent back to the police station for completion of investigations.
But the five’s attorney, Admire Rubaya challenged postponement, saying they should be freed if the State is not ready for trial. Said Rubaya:
Get Pindula News on our WhatsApp Channel
Subscribe here: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va84dngJP21B2nWeyM3v
The accused persons are viewed as thieves in the court of public opinion but thieves are those that have invaded the ZIFA house. All they are saying is give us a trial date.
They want to assert their rights and clear their names but the State is developing jelly legs.
If they are not ready to put them on trial they should let them go and summon them when they are ready.
They know there was no offence committed and they are stuck with the docket.
Rubaya said the suspension of the ZIFA board and the appointment of an “illegitimate” new ZIFA board led by Gilbert Banda amounted to a “coup”. He said:
We can’t have a situation where certain individuals force out legitimate leaders that were legitimately elected into office. If it was in politics this would be a coup.