ZANU PF MP Demands Timely Disbursement Of BEAM Funds
The government says it has adequate resources to cater for 1.5 million learners under the Basic Education Assistance Module (BEAM) programme in 2022.
The issue of BEAM funds was raised by parliamentarians on Wednesday amid reports that some disadvantaged learners are in danger of failing to sit for their 2022 Zimbabwe Schools Examinations Council (ZIMSEC) examinations.
The matter was raised in the National Assembly by Gokwe Chireya MP, Torerayi Moyo (ZANU PF), who said beneficiaries of BEAM were failing to register for their final examinations due to non-payment of fees under the government scheme.
In response, Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare minister Paul Mavima claimed that the government had disbursed the funds. Said Mavima:
We have made tremendous progress in the disbursement of Beam funds. So far, we have paid tuition fees for the second term which is the current term except for schools that needed to comply with the reporting requirements for Beam.
Get Pindula News on our WhatsApp Channel
Subscribe here: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va84dngJP21B2nWeyM3v
This year our target is 1.5 million and the resources to cover those students are there. Our coverage has become more comprehensive, to include all the requirements for those learners including uniforms, and stationery that they need because we used to just cover tuition fees.
However, Zimbabwe Union of School Heads president Munyaradzi Majoni told NewsDay that disbursements for BEAM fees were erratic.
Meanwhile, the headmaster of Mahombekombe Primary School in Kariba reportedly barred Grade 7 learners from registering for their ZIMSEC exams due to non-payment.
The Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR) on Tuesday gave the headmaster a 24-hour ultimatum to stop disenfranchising pupils under BEAM over non-payment.