Zimbabwe Weather Report & Forecast: 19 To 21 December 2022
The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection at 4 PM on Monday 19 December 2022 valid until Wednesday 21 December 2022:
There were considerable rainfalls in a number of places this weekend as a cloud band swept across the country from west to east.
The highest rainfalls were 140mm (Shurugwi), 75mm (Bikita), 51mm (Kanyemba), 38mm (Chimukoko), 37mm (Zvishavane), 30mm (Murambinda and Macheke), 27mm (at Kariba, Rusape and Mukandi) as well as 25mm (Nyakomba).
This rain-bearing system is now to the northeast of the country and it is slowly drying out over the west.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, TUESDAY 20 DECEMBER 2022
Scattered thunderstorms are expected over Manicaland, Mashonaland East and Central Provinces with mostly cloudy and warm conditions prevailing.
Mashonaland West, Midlands, Masvingo, Matabeleland South, Bulawayo and Harare Metropolitan Provinces should be briefly cloudy, humid and hot with isolated showers; while Matabeleland North is mostly sunny and hot, though mild both morning and evening.
- Localised downpours are probable in places.
- Lightning is a major threat during this part of the year, being inherent in thundershowers.
- Strong winds may blow off roofs and damage property.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing flooded rivers or swollen streams where water is above your ankles, just a 30 cm depth of flowing water can sweep away large vehicles. Wait for the water to recede before attempting to cross.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
- When thunder roars, go indoors. Where possible, stay indoors during thunderstorms.
- Note that lightning can strike from a large distance;
- Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance. Umbrellas are not safe during storms, raincoats are better, best is to be indoors.
- Insure crops against adverse weather such as hailstorms and flash flood damage
- Be Weather-ready; always plan with the weather in mind.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR WEDNESDAY 21 DECEMBER 2022
Windy, cloudy and mild conditions are anticipated in Matabeleland South, Masvingo and Manicaland, with light rain and drizzle in places.
All other provinces, namely Matabeleland North, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Midlands, Harare Metropolitan and all Mashonaland Provinces should be humid with isolated showers and localized heavier downpours (above 25mm), especially in districts such as Nyanga, Mudzi, Mutoko, UMP, Rushinga, Mount Darwin, Shamva, Muzarabani and Mbire.
Mild overnight conditions are expected overnight.