Three Kids Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

8 months ago
Fri, 20 Jan 2023 06:43:37 GMT
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Three Kids Die After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has announced that three children from Chivhu died after eating poisonous mushrooms. Two children received treatment and survived, according to a police statement obtained by Pindula News. Reads the report:


The Zimbabwe Republic Police is investigating the circumstances in which three girls, Prudence Mhangami (12), Leona Zarura (2 years 8 months) and Mazvita Taderera (1 year 8 months) of Village 10 Magamba, Chivhu, died after consuming some mushrooms, while Tatenda Mhangami (9) and Tendai Mhangami (7) survived after being treated at Sally Mugabe Hospital, Harare.

The Police got to know about this sad incident through the media as the relatives had not bothered to report.

Prudence Mhangami died on 14th January 2023 whilst admitted at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals, while Leona Zarura and Mazvita Taderera died upon admission at Sally Mugabe Hospital.

The post-mortem conducted on the bodies of Mazvita Taderera and Leona Zarura concluded that death was due to mushroom poisoning, while post mortem report for Prudence Mhangami is yet to be received.

Are you a Civil Servant or Pensioner in Zimbabwe?

Get a smartphone 📱 on Zero Deposit. 24 hours to process.

Click here to apply

The Zimbabwe Republic Police is concerned that Prudence Mhangami’s relatives intended to bury her without a post-mortem being conducted, as such the police had no option but to stop the burial process to allow the post-mortem to be conducted.

Investigations carried by the Police have established that on 10th January 2023 the victims, who were staying with their grandparents, consumed some mushrooms which were picked by Prudence Mhangami from a neighbouring homestead, despite her grandfather warning her against cooking the mushrooms.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police implores parents and guardians to monitor the food being consumed by children in order to safeguard their lives. The public should not pick wild mushrooms indiscriminately without due regard for safety. We urge traditional leaders, school authorities and communities to educate both adults and the youths on the dangers of picking mushrooms in bushes.

In view of this unfortunate incident, the Police urges the public to be cautious with mushroom vendors who offer wares along street corners and highways.

(NYATHI. P) Assistant Commissioner Senior Staff Officer (Press and Public Relations) to the Commissioner General of Police Police General Headquarters

More Pindula News



Leave a Comment

Generate a Whatsapp Message

Buy Phones on Credit.

More Deals