MSD WEATHER FORECAST: Isolated Afternoon Thunderstorms Expected
The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection at 4 PM on Sunday 05 February 2023 valid until Tuesday 07 February 2023:
Numerous thunderstorms that were experienced across the country yesterday led to significant rainfall in areas mainly along and to the south of the Main Watershed with localised heavy rain in some places.
Rainfall above 50mm was recorded at Rusape Met Office, 77mm Makoholi Met Office 51mm. Other Met Stations that recorded rainfall between 25mm and 50mm include Buhera 47mm, Zaka 37mm, Matopos 51mm, Marondera 34mm, Tsholotsho 28mm, RGMO (Harare) 28mm and Chipinge 26mm. It was cool and cloudy in most parts of the country early this morning.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW MONDAY 06 FEBRUARY 2023:
Isolated afternoon thunderstorms are expected in areas along and to the north of the Main Watershed namely northern parts of Manicaland, all Mashonaland, Harare Metropolitan, northern parts of Midlands and Matabeleland North Provinces.
All other areas should be partly cloudy and warm with a chance of showers that could be thundery in places.
Get Pindula News on our WhatsApp Channel
Subscribe here: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va84dngJP21B2nWeyM3v
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
- Heavy downpours may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
- Lightning is a major threat during this part of the year, being inherent in thundershowers.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing rivers or streams of unknown depth; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, it might have done so upstream. 30cm depth of fast-flowing water can sweep away large vehicles.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
- Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance. Umbrellas are not safe during storms, raincoats are better, best is to be indoors.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR TUESDAY 07 FEBRUARY 2023:
Afternoon and evening thunderstorms should persist in areas along and to the north of the Main Watershed and localised downpours remain are possible.
The southern parts of the country are anticipated to start with partly cloudy conditions in the morning becoming cloudy and showery in places as the day progresses.