Haulage Truck, Kombi Collide Outside Mvuma
Six people were killed in an accident involving a haulage truck and a commuter omnibus along Gweru-Mvuma Highway on Monday morning.
Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) national spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi confirmed the accident to State media.
Reports indicate that the six died on the spot after the truck sideswiped a Toyota Sprinter, they were traveling on at the 5-kilometre peg. Said Asst Comm Nyathi:
Police are still at the scene but for now, we can only confirm the accident. More details will follow in due course.
According to the Traffic Safety Council of Zimbabwe (TSCZ), road accidents are attributable to speeding, overtaking error, not giving way, following too close, reversing error, negligent pedestrian/ cyclists and fatigue.
Get Pindula News on our WhatsApp Channel
Subscribe here: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va84dngJP21B2nWeyM3v
Individuals can take measures to prevent the chances of accidents when driving. These are:
- Drive at the prescribed speed limits on the various roads. Always remember that “Speed thrills but kills”.
- Always put on helmets, seat belts and other safety equipment before driving a bicycle/motorcycle/vehicle. Always remember that “Safety saves”.
- Do not drink and drive. Always remember that “You cannot hold a pen properly after two pegs, what about the driving wheel?”
- Never use mobile phones or earphones while driving. Always remember “A mobile call on the road may be the last call of your life”.
- Know the traffic signs, signals, lights and traffic safety rules before you hit the road. Always remember that “Road safety rules are the best tools to avoid accidents”.
- Do not drive for long hours in a stretch. Have proper breaks after every 2 hours of continuous driving. Always remember that “Man is a man and not a machine”.
More: Pindula News