Chegutu (formerly Hartley) is one of the best farming communities in Zimbabwe situated in Mashonaland West Province. Located at some 105 km south of Harare, the city is residence to about 90 000 people.
The settlement was named by hunter Henry Hartley in 1891, who the Hartley Hills were also named after. He, along with Dr. Karl Maunch, discovered gold here, and then later at Mazowe. In 1901, Cecil Rhodes chose the present site, and old Hartley, about 30km east, was abandoned.  The city started off as mining town before it became a fully fledged administrative and commercial centre.
Geography and Climate
The city is located at coordinates 18° 8' 0" South, 30° 9' 0" East.
- Mudzingwa Noah Kadenhe of Zanu PF - 41 459 votes.
- Titus Garikayi Mukarati of UANC - 1 159 votes.
- Loveless Madiye of PF-ZAPU - 718 votes.
- Enos Chamunorwa Chikowore of Zanu PF - 28 153 votes.
- Chinyauro Abraham of PF-ZAPU - 1 966 votes.
- Abraham Chirwa of UANC - 796 votes.
Turnout - 25 301 voters or 76.18 %
- Charles Ndlovu of Zanu PF with 12 169 votes,
- Philemon Thambatshira of MDC with 10 412 votes,
- Shadreck Karuwa of UP with 485 votes,
- Cleopas Sibanda, Independent, with 0 votes.
- Webster Shamu of Zanu PF with 15 687 votes or 83.29 percent,
- Tawanda Bvumo of MDC–T with 2 713 votes or 14.40 percent,
- Jacob Moyo of MDC–N with 434 votes or 2.30 percent,
Total 18 834 votes
- Dexter Nduna of Zanu PF with 11 130 votes or 57.19 percent,
- Chalton Hwende of MDC–T with 7 399 votes or 38.02 percent,
- Tagwireyi Ngwenya of MDC–N with 722 votes or 3.71 percent,
- Ernest Mudimu, Independent, with 212 votes or 1.09 percent,
Total 19 463 votes
For a long time the town has filed to meet the demands of drinking water. In 2011, the town council raised $325 000 which they paid to the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority (Zesa) for construction of a powerline to reduce the water problems. The powerline would be used to feed its waterworks. Power outages were the main cause for the failure to supply the daily demands of drinking water hence the construction of the powerline came as a relief to the residents. 
- ,Barbara McCrea, Tony Pinchuck, The Rough Guide to Zimbabwe, Page: 103.Rough Guides Ltd,200.
- [Chief Information Officer, Lore and Legend of Southern Rhodesia Place Names] (Southern Rhodesia Information Service, Salisbury, 1960) Retrieved 8 November 2021"
- Zesa to construct direct powerline for Chegutu, 'NewsDay', Published: 30 Aug 2011, Retrieved: 2 May 2014