|Born||Happyton Mabhuya Bonyongwe|
January 11, 1960
|Alma mater||University of Zimbabwe|
|Employer||Government of Zimbabwe|
Happyton Bonyongwe is a lawyer and the former Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs. He took over from Emmerson Mnangagwa after being appointed in a cabinet reshuffle on 9 October 2017. Before his appointment he was the director general of the Zimbabwean intelligence agency, the Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO). Bonyongwe is a former member of the Zimbabwe National Army, when he retired he was Brigadier General.
Bonyongwe was born on the 11th of January 1960 in the Chikomba district of what was then the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.He is married to Willia Bonyongwe.
Before joining the government, Bonyongwe worked as a lawyer at the Atherstone & Cook Legal Practitioners law firm. Bonyongwe was a member of the Zimbabwe National Army and between 1981 and 1999. He left the ZNA with the rank of Brigadier General. In 2002, he succeeded Elisha Muzonzini as the Director-General of the Central Intelligence Agency. On 9 October he replaced Emmerson Mnangagwa as the Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs.As, the head of the CIO, he used to report directly to the former president Robert Mugabe, without going through Minister for State Security Kembo Mohadi
- Bonyongwe is alleged to have sued Africa Consolidated manager Andrew Cranswick for over an alleged WikiLeaks report that linked him to alleged diamond looting in Chiadzwa.He is said to have demanded $10 million for defarmation damages.
- Mohadi Kembo and Bonyongwe were allegedly dragged to court by one of the CIO member who was demanding promotion after indicating to the courts of being in the organisation since 1995 and rising through the ranks.
After the swearing of Emmerson Mnangagwa as president in November 2017, a new cabinet was appointed.Bonyongwe was relieved of his duty as the Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs.He was succeeded by Ziyambi Ziyambi
- "Spy boss ill, operated on". NewsDay.co.zw. Alpha Media Holdings. March 5, 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Alex Magaisa, Mugabe's reshuffle: the crocodile is running out of water, BSR, Published: 10 October 2017, Retrieved: 10 October 2017
- Fidelis Munyoro (March 21, 2016). "Bonyongwe persists with ACR Lawsuit= The Herald". Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- Tendai Kamhungira (August 3, 2017). "CIO agent cries for promotion = Nehanda Radio". Retrieved October 5, 2017.