Kudakwashe Tagwirei is the Chief Executive Officer and Director at Sakunda Holdings Group and a businessman with vast interests in the energy sector.
It is widely believed that Tagwirei has strong ties to prominent politicians in Zimbabwe African National Union - Patriotic Front as his company funded the party's projects and government initiatives like the Command Agriculture 2016.
Tagwirei founded Sakunda in 2005.
Financing Command Agriculture
Tagwirei is credited for mobilising finance for government’s Command Agriculture. Opposition parties alleged the programme to be an illegal parallel programme of the State, specifically designed to pursue a narrow electoral agenda, specifically securing a Zanu PF victory at the 2018 harmonised elections.
Kudakwashe Tagwirei’s father Phineas Tagwirei passed away in 2018, he succumbed to prostate cancer at Trauma Centre in Borrowdale. His father's death halted government business as virtually all ministers abandoned their workstations to attend his burial. Emmerson Mnangagwa and Constantino Chiwenga also attended the funeral.
Under investigation by the police and the Central Intelligence Organisation
NewsDay alleged that Sakunda Holdings owner Kuda Tagwirei was under investigation by the police and the Central Intelligence Organisation. Tagwirei who has close ties to President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s administration was reported to have been called in for questioning over his alleged role in the foreign currency black market. Newsday reported that the police and CIO also wanted to raid Tagwirei’s home but were unable to do so after the businessman left Harare and accompanied Constantino Chiwenga to Wedza aboard a military helicopter.
Buying luxury Cars for Mnangagwa, Chiwenga and Mohadi
Kudakwashe Tagriwrei was reported to have bought luxury cars worth millions of dollars for Emmerson Mnangagwa, Constantino Chiwenga and Kembo Mohadi as well as for their wives and other top government officials.
Another allegation levelled was that Tagwirei also used the same opportunity to import his three luxury cars duty-free.
Large foreign currency allocation per month
Christopher Mutsvangwa alleged that Kudakwashe Tagwirei received the bulk of the foreign currency allocations from the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe yet he does not earn any forex himself. Mutsvangwa said that Tagwirei’s business takes away money from the people who earn the actual foreign currency such as tobacco farmers and gold panners.
Today's Top Pindula News2019-03-24T10:16:36Z
- Sakunda to increase agric funding - NewsDay Zimbabwe, NewsDay Zimbabwe, published: 25 Jun 2017, retrieved: 24 Oct 2018
- Tycoon causes govt shutdown, DailyNews Live, retrieved: 24 Oct 2018
- Sakunda boss Tagwirei under probe - NewsDay Zimbabwe, NewsDay Zimbabwe, published: 25 Oct 2018, retrieved: 26 Oct 2018
- Sakunda Owner Bought Luxury Cars For Mnangagwa, Vice Presidents And Spouses For Command Agriculture ⋆ Pindula News, Pindula News, published: 29 Oct 2018, retrieved: 29 Oct 2018
- Sakunda's Tagwirei Receives US$80 Million/Month Yet Gold Miners Who Earn Forex Get RTGS - Mutsvangwa ⋆ Pindula News, Pindula News, published: 29 Oct 2018, retrieved: 29 Oct 2018