Sam Mtukudzi

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Sam Mtukudzi

Sam Mtukudzi was an Afro-jazz musician and son of Oliver Mtukudzi & Daisy Mtukudzi. He was born in 1988 and died on 15 March 2010.[1]


Sam was born to Oliver & Daisy Mtukudzi on April 1, 1988. Sam started singing at 4 years of age, playing his father's guitar and attended Harare's Prince Edward High School where he was an active member of the school's Jazz Band. His theory was widened as he also learnt several other instruments namely marimba, mbira, drums, saxophone, bass guitar, electric (lead) guitar etc. This is where the decision to make music his career came after realizing that music was not only his love or hobby but also a passion that he wished to develop. After completing his O-Level studies, Sam pursued a career in music, founding the Ay Band. He tried to differentiate himself from his father, deciding to take a deliberately independent route as signified by his first album; Rumwe Rimwe and second album Chimwe.


  1. Rumwe Rimwe
  2. Chimwe

Goodwill Ambassador

Sam served as a goodwill ambassador for a number of organisations. In 2012, he was honoured posthumously by having a scholarship fund created in his name.[2]

Ay Band

Sam founded and led the Ay band after completing his O level studies at Prince Edward High School


Sam passed away in early hours of 15 March 2010 along with his sound engineer, Owen Chimhare [3] The Tata vehicle they were travelling in is believed to have veered off the road into a bridge just before the Kuwadzana extension turn off on the Bulawayo highway. Both of them died on the spot.[4] Sam was laid to rest alongside Owen Chimare at Warren Hills Cemetery on Wednesday 17 March 2010 [5]

Book about his life

A book on Oliver Mtukudzi by Shepherd Mutamba has a chapter titled “Son(s)” which goes into the late Sam Mutkudzi’s life, music and eventual death at 21.[6]

Snippets from the book

Sam Mtukudzi’s humility

Although he was advantaged, having been born in a wealthy family, Sam never rode on the fame and success of his father and didn’t want to be judged as Tuku’s son. He was warm and down to earth and humble for a son of an icon and would use public buses and nobody would notice him.

Sam would tour the world capitals performing with Tuku and back home he easily played with the same zest for the most ordinary fans in dingy bars where drunkards vomit on the dance floor.

Being young

Castle Larger was Sam’s favourite drink, and he smoked cigarettes but tried hard to hide that habit. I caught him once sharing weed with his band members backstage before the show.

I could bear with him because he was outgrowing the influence of teen life and maturing into adulthood to be a proper man, responsible and respectable.

Indiscipline in his Band, before and after Sam’s Death

The use of alcohol got out of hand in Sam’s band during the days when the group was managed by Ropa Viriri. She was seeing Sam, at the same time, and the office romance compromised things badly.

Indiscipline became quite an issue in the band. Some of the band members were actually hooked on alcohol and weed and got plastered so badly that they would time and again fail to play.

Tuku censured bad behaviour in Sam’s group, but gave up on at AY Band not long after Sam’s death, largely due to disciplinary issues. The band dissolved in 2011.

Martha Badza, who had assumed the lead vocals after Sam’s death, died from natural causes. Tatenda Kanjantu, the drummer, committed suicide. Sammy Tsatsi, the bassist, went to follow the Jesus Christ and never saw him again. Alastas Mushoriwa worked as a session musician playing keyboard and doing studio productions. Tawanda Ndoro rehabilitated into a responsible young man and joined Harare-based singer Alexio Kawara and Shades of Black as a guitarist.

Differences with his mother

Daisy loved her son but they had their own tense moments on certain issues that prompted Sam to leave the family home to stay at one of Tuku’s mansions across town in Norton.

Sam wanted to study in America where he had friends who had previously worked together with him on musical projects.

But Daisy wanted her boy to stay and prepare him for bigger things in the family empire; something Sam was not ready to do before he had seen the world and accomplished his studies overseas.

The mediator in the family

Even at the tender age of 21, Sam would mediate and bring his father and mother together when there was friction.

If Sam was alive today I bet the antagonism between his sisters Selmor and Sandra and Tuku would not have deteriorated to a point where a father and his daughters do not see eye to eye. And possibly Daisy would not be fighting Tuku and chasing him with a gun.

Communication of his death

Tuku and Daisy learnt about their son’s death from a stranger, on arrival at Harare International Airport (now Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport). A security guard, on duty in arrivals lounge, who had heard about the tragedy on radio news, greeted Tuku and extended condolences.

All along Tuku did not know that his son had died, but believed that he was only hurt.

He broke down as even more people at the airport came forward to console him. It was at that moment that point that it dawned upon him that his son was gone.


  1. Zimbabwe: Sam Mtukudzi's Tombstone to Be Unveiled Today,, retrieved on 9 March 2014.
  2. [1], US Hails expanding Zim Orphan Care Program], retrieved on 9 March 2014.
  3. Sam Mtukudzi Dies., retrieved on 9 March 2014.
  4. Sam Mtukudzi Tombstone to be unveiled, KBO, retrieved on 9 March 2014.
  5. [2], Zimbabwe: Buddies in Life and Death - Sam and Owen, retrieved on 9 March 2014.
  6. [3], Sam Mtukudzi’s Life, Last Days & Death. Book On The Icon’s Late Son , retrieved on 18 March 2018.

Buy Phones on Credit.

More Deals