|Known for||Being Public Service Commission Chairperson|
Hungwe's wife is Dr Mabel Hungwe who was appointed a Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (ZACC) in July 2019 by President Emmerson Mnangagwa. He was PSC chairperson when his wife was appointed a ZACC Commissioner.
His brother is Charles Hungwe who was hired to head the Lesotho High Court bench to try a former Lesotho top army officer, Lieutenant General Tlali Kamoli, and eight other military servicemen on murder charges. Hungwe's brother is viewed as a protégé of President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who replaced Robert Mugabe in November 2017 following a military-assisted takeover.
Vincent and Mabel Hungwe have a son named Mukudzeyi.
Hungwe attended Tegwani High School. He holds a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in development planning from Cornell University.
Hungwe started as a lecturer.
He served as regional technical adviser for the United National Capital Development Fund (UNDP) from 2010 to 2012 before being appointed UNDP Botswana policy adviser in 2013.
Hungwe was appointed as the Public Service Commissions chairperson with effect from June 1 2018 by President Emmerson Mnangagwa. Vincent Hungwe took over from Dr Mariyawanda Nzuwah who retired in March 2018. Dr Mary Margaret Muchada had taken over as the acting chairperson before Hungwe's appointment.
He is a former permanent secretary in the Ministry of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing.
As PSC chairperson, Vincent Hungwe oversaw a mandatory biometric registration exercise for all civil servants in 2019. The PSC said those who were unregistered by the due date would be struck off the salary roll.
The biometric registration exercise was expected to help streamline the public sector payroll by weeding out “ghost workers”. The programme was part of broad measures adopted by the Government, with advice from the World Bank, through the Transitional Stabilisation Programme (TSP) 2018-2020.
- Zimbabwean judge Hungwe on edge of the bench in Lesotho, NewZimbabwe.com, Published: January 31, 2020, Retrieved: April 22, 2022
- Silent Thunder: In the Presence of Elephants, Google Books, Published: 1998, Retrieved: April 22, 2022
- vincent hungwe , LinkedIn, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: April 22, 2022
- Dr. Vincent Hungwe In Conversation With Trevor (Full Episode), YouTube, Published: August 30, 2019, Retrieved: May 13, 2022
- President appoints new PSC boss, The Herald, Published: May 22, 2018, Retrieved: April 22, 2022
- Felex Share, DJC Gwaunza, Hungwe sworn in as JSC members, The Herald, Published: June 1, 2018, Retrieved: April 22, 2022
- Debra Matabvu, No pay for unregistered civil servants, Sunday News, Published: September 22, 2019, Retrieved: April 22, 2022