Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the above post that have arisen in the University.
We are looking for a Horticulture Manager who will be involved with cultivating, packaging and selling of crops ranging from food and vegetables to decorative plants. The candidate should be a hands on business minded person who will manage all aspects of the production process, helping to make sure that crops go smoothly from seedbed to market.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing the cultivation and maintenance of plants and crops from seedbed to the market.
- Managing weed/pest/disease control programmes.
- Selection and recommending good crop varieties.
- Analysing horticultural yields, operational costs and financial returns.
- Improving vigour, size and taste of crops grown.
- Field irrigation management.
- Writing and modifying business plans.
- Supervising and training of staff and students.
- Knowledge of the Zimbabwe Horticultural Market.
- Liaising with colleagues, management, customers, students on work study and agricultural practice.
- Ensuring that deadlines and quality standards are met within set budgets.
- Maintaining activity records.
- Organising/giving presentations and demonstrations to students and staff and
- Any other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants must have at least a Diploma/Degree in Horticulture or Crop science, at least 3 years’ experience in a practical horticultural environment, experience in Farm Machinery, knowledge and experience of GAP and organic farming and a class 3 or 4 drivers’ licence will be an added advantage.
The successful candidate should have:
- Knowledge in Horticulture crop production and management.
- Knowledge in good agronomic practices.
- Knowledge in agricultural chemicals.
- Knowledge in horticulture planning and implementation.
- Knowledge on current and trending varieties and production methods.
- Information on salary and other benefits will be made available to shortlisted candidates.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications which should include the application letter, certified copies of certificates, national identification and a detailed Curriculum Vitae giving full personal details including full names, place and date of birth, qualifications, experience, present salary, date of availability, contact details, names and addresses of three referees. Applications in envelopes clearly indicating post applied for should be addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar, Human Resources Marondera University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
P.O. Box 35
OR Hand Deliver to:
Marondera University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
15 Longlands Road
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The University does not charge applicants a fee at any stage of the recruitment process and does not have Agents who receive applications on its behalf.
Deadline: 05 April 2023