Under the direct supervision of the study investigators; lead in performing clinical laboratory clinical activities and sample collection from MSF Mbare clinic to University of Zimbabwe laboratory together with other lab technician overseeing shipment of samples, result follow-up and supporting activities at other referral laboratories according to MSF STI study protocols.
Duties and Responsibilities
- According to medical prescription, preparing and performing clinical exams/tests with appropriate techniques and following MSF protocols and procedures. This function includes, among others:
- Receive and register patient samples for laboratory analysis, including overseeing the shipment of other samples to two external referral laboratories.
- Performing Mbare patient sample examinations in the University of Zimbabwe laboratory; serology, haematology, molecular bacteriology and/or according to context of the required study protocols.
- Ensuring proper registration and reporting of the testing results including following-up results for all referred samples; whilst ensuring confidentiality.
- Conduct required routine cleaning and minor maintenance of laboratory instruments including GeneXpertplus other laboratory material/equipment:
- Follow the instrument user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of any malfunctioning.
- Applying hygiene and safety protocols, doing daily cleaning /maintenance, sterilization, washing general glassware after procedures are done on the G-Expert machine.
- Ensuring appropriate laboratory waste disposal according to national and MSF standards.
- Tracking the inventory of laboratory consumables and requesting timely replenishment including monitoring optimal storage conditions for all inventory.
- Producing weekly or monthly (depending on need) laboratory study reports to update study investigators on all laboratory related study activities from Mbare clinic in University of Zimbabwe laboratory and in other referral laboratories.
- Contribute to the analysis, write-up, and dissemination of study findings.
Qualifications and Experience
- Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree and registered with the Laboratory Medical Laboratory and Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience, preferably in a medical environment.
- Working experience with an international NGO is an asset.
- Excellent Microsoft Office packages a must, with good reporting and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, open mindedness, patience and diplomacy.
- Strong understanding and commitment to maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Good oral and written English language and any local language.
How to Apply
Qualified, experienced, and interested candidates meeting the above criteria should forward their motivation letter and comprehensive CVs to:
The Finance and Human Resources Manager, MSF–Belgium, 33 – 5th Avenue, Mbare, Harare or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that MSF-Belgium, Zimbabwe Mission does not solicit any organization or individual to recruit on their behalf. No fee is charged throughout the recruitment, selection, and placement process. Canvassing will lead to disqualification of candidates.
Deadline: 31 March 2023