January 15, 1986
|Known for||Making hard tackles|
|Notable work||Won the Super Diski with Kaizer Chiefs|
Willard Katsande is an award-winning Zimbabwean footballer who plays for Kaizer Chiefs in South Africa. He is one of the best midfielders in the country and plays the positions of central and defensive midfielder. Katsande joined South African team, Kaizer Chiefs in 2011.
Kastande started off playing for low division one league where he played for virtually known teams such Frontier Steel Football Club, Feruka Football Club and Highway Football Club. It was when he played for the latter that Katsande was spotted by the 2010 Zimbabwean Premier Soccer League champions, Gunners Football Club. The same year Gunners brought the midfielder to play in top flight championships in Harare. He was outstanding in all Gunners Champions league matches, but impressed the coaches very much in the team's 1-0 victory over former African champions Al Ahly at Rufaro Stadium. It was on that occasion Katsande's fortunes were turned as he was spotted by Ajax Cape Town who signed him for the 2010/2011 season. An injury at the club restricted his appearance only featuring in 5 games and scoring a single goal. He was then signed by Chiefs after his impressive show when the Warriors played a friendly with Zambia in 2011.
National Team Caps
Katsande has represented the national team on several occasions.
- South African Premier League Winners Medal
- Online Player of the year award (Kaizer Chiefs Awards)
- Fan Player of the season (Kaizer Chiefs Awards)
- Player of the season (Kaizer Chiefs Awards)
Katsande had played for the following clubs:
- Highway-Div 1, Zim (2007–2009)
- Gunners, Zim (2010)
- Ajax Cape Town, SA (2010–2011)
- Kaizer Chiefs, SA (2011–present)
Katsande courted controversy when he failed to travel to Tanzania for the first leg of the 2015 African Nations Cup qualifier against Tanzania earlier in May 2014. Katsande said he missed the game because he was sick, a claim that was not accepted by many of his teammates. The latter believed Katsande was not ill but rather boycotted the match in order to attend the South African end-of-season awards which were held on the same day as the match. He was in line for two top awards, PSL Player of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season although he won none. His late withdraw is reported to have angered Warriors coach Ian Gorowa but the two ironed out their differences with Katsande joining other players in preparation for the second leg.
- Condolences to Katsnde Family, Kaizer Chiefs, Published: 24 Jan 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Willard Katsande, Beez Sports, Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Katsande sweeps Chiefs awards, Kickoff, Published: May 23, 2014, Retrieved: June 25, 2015
- Nigel Matongorere, Gorowa pardons Katsande, DailyNews, Published: 28 May 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Tawanda Tafirenyika, Willard Katsande back in Warriors squad, NewsDay, Published: 28 May 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014