November 28, 1978
|Education||Shiriyedenga Primary School, Mazowe High School, Vainona High School|
Alexio Kawara is a popular and award-winning Zimbabwean Afro-fusion musician. He rose to national stardom in the New Millennium with the hit "Amai" which was the third best song of the year 2000. He went on to produce a string of hit, notably the song "Shaina" which topped the charts and won him some awards.
Alexio’s talent and passion was evident as he became a key member of the school choir from primary school until A' level. Whilst still at Mazowe High, Kawara befriended Zivanai Masango who played with Thomas Mapfumo and Zimbabwe Republic Police Band member Watson Chimombe. Together with one Joel Zamani, they formed a gospel outfit Black by Nature when they left Mazowe High. After the group disbanded, he joined Delani Makhalima, Brain Garikai and Donda Khumalo to form the group ?uess (Guess) in the year 2000. The group only released a single project. The most notable song off the project was "Amai" which was written by Alexio himself.
Guess later disbanded prompting Kawara to launch his solo career. He went on release his debut album,"Usazondisiya" (Don’t Leave Me) in 2003. The album carried hit songs like "Kumba Kwenyu" (Your Home) and the epic, "Ndinomhanya" both of which received heavy rotation on local radio stations. He followed up with another hit album in "Rwiyo Rwangu" (My Song) in 2004. The latter carried the hit, "Chibvugubvugu". Accompanied by a sizzling video, the hit also propelled Kawara to dizzy heights. He later on featured on a compilation album, "Machikichori" with the song "Musikana Akanaka" (A Beautiful Girl). The song topped the Power FM charts for a considerable number of weeks. He went on to produce other albums, "Pfimbi Yangu" and 'Kana'. Hoever it was the latter that earned Kawara recognition in Zimbabwe and abroad. It featured some of the best local artist and the best songs. Some of the artists featured includes Andy Brown, Clive "Mono" Mkundu and Newman Chipeni. It is this album that carried hits such as "Karwiyo Aka", "Nyaya Yerudo" and the epic Shaina (Shine). That saw the birth of his band, Shades of Black.
Kawara has won several local accplades. These includes;
- 2006 Zimbabwe Music Awards (ZIMA) - best male urban groove award
- 2006 ZIMA - Song of the year(Tinodanana)
- 2007 National Arts Merit Awards (NAMA) - Outstanding Album(pfimbi yangu)
- 2008 ZIMA- Song of the year for Shaina and 2nd position for videos of the year *2011 Victors Awards- The Most Promising Musician.
- Oyi (2017)
- Tose (2011)
- Chipo Changu
- Mwana Waamai
- Gomba Remoto
- Dear Sons And Daughters
- Usazondisiya (2003)
- Kumba Kwenyu (2004)
- Pfimbi Yangu
- Hatidzoreke (2016)
- Zvazvinhu (2015)
- Nehana (2016)
- Alexio Kawara's - the boy from Glen Norah, Intimate With Zim Musicians, Published: 15 Sept 2011, Retrieved: 29 Apr 2014
- Robert Mukondiwa, The Truth About: Alexio Kawara, New Zimbabwe, Published: 16 Sep 2012, Retrieved: 29 Apr 2014
- Greedy South, Greedysouth Interviews Alexio Kawara, Greedy South, Published: Feb 2010, Retrieved: 29 Apr 2014
- Aexio Kawara, Achievements, Alexio Kawara Website, Published: News Day, Retrieved: 29 Apr 2014