Intern (Financial Control)
Applications are invited from a suitably qualified and experienced personnel to fill the above-mentioned position.
Would you like to be part of an all-star cast charged with embedding financial control, risk assurance, and integrity of the financial function across the great work we do at the British Council?
Through a hands-on learning programme, we offer you the opportunity to get exciting insights into the financial function of a global organization creating people impact across 110 countries. The Finance function offers a unique and independent outlook from which to drive decision-making and strategy across our operations. We pride ourselves on delivering excellence, being trusted business partners, and driving continuous improvement and innovation.
You will work within the Financial Control function and your role with us will see you supporting the end-to-end accounting process - including month and year-end close, ensuring consistent, accurate, and robust financial accounting processes, and being a solid part of our “three lines of defense”. During your placement, you may be required to support finance change programme, process improvement initiatives, and engaging stakeholders across business teams. These will give you a big-picture understanding of our work and how it supports the delivery of our vision and strategies.
Candidates with a disability or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.
Learning and development opportunities for the intern
- You will get a deeper understanding of the British Council and the work that will do impacting lives across the globe. You will become familiar with working in an International Organization and in a multicultural environment.
- Throughout your programme, you will gain insight and hands-on experience on day-to-day accounting systems and procedures, and get specialist knowledge and experience in finance based on our business needs. Your placement will give you the opportunity to learn and embed the core technical finance and systems knowledge you need to move forward. This opportunity will help you build on the technical skills gained and build your knowledge of our commercial business, risk management, and how we interpret numbers, trends, and strategies into financial plans, forecasts, and business decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and scan invoices for payment post-due diligence by Accountants/Senior Accountants.
- Provide support as required with manual journals, accounting adjustments, and off-system payment requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Support the income recognition process by extracting relevant reports and working with the Customer service and exams dept.
- Support reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Maintain and file financial records as per corporate policy.
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per policy.
- Complete monthly cash journal reconciliations.
- Submit relevant documents to the local bank as requested.
- Support the preparation of local Tax submissions and other statutory returns.
- Assist with the provision of information to internal/external auditors.
Qualifications and Experience
- Recent graduate with a degree in a finance-related field.
- Interest in Financial Control.
- Self-motivated, proactive and a good team player.
- Drive to succeed, with the ability to think both creatively and strategically.
- Questioning, analytical mind.
- Good interpersonal & communication skills: verbal and written.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and maintain quality of output.
- Ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Packages, especially Excel, and adaptability to learning ERP software.
- Work experience in a Finance capacity would be beneficial.
- Duration: March 2023 – January 2024
- Remuneration: Interns will receive a monthly stipend
- Contract Type: Locally Engaged
- Location – Harare, Zimbabwe
- Requirements: All applicants should have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in the country of application. The British Council will not facilitate/sponsor visa applications and work permits.
How to Apply
Deadline: 24 February 2023Generate a Whatsapp Message
The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. It support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide.