Journalist Zororo Makamba who was well known for his online social and political commentary, under the banner "State of the Nation", died in March 2020. He became the first Covid-19 casualty in Zimbabwe after he died at the Wilkins Hospital which was at the time the only isolation center in Harare. His death came swiftly, three days after his diagnosis.
Makamba had just returned from New York with flu-like symptoms and was told by his doctor that it was a regular flu.
However, on Friday 20 March 2020, his condition deteriorated which prompted his doctor to test him for coronavirus. The positive result did not come through until the early hours of Saturday morning. His family told a publication that Wilkins said they could not admit Zororo because they were not ready to do so.
He was eventually admitted, despite there being no ventilator to help him breathe. Makamba then died on the morning of Monday 23 March 2020.
Zimbabwe’s late agriculture minister also set a milestone when he became the first high ranking Government official to succumb to Covid-19.
He was declared a national hero and buried at the National Heroes Acre. His death was shrouded in mystery with President Emmerson Mnangagwa putting to rest speculation that he had been assassinated saying:
Now that it is confirmed that Minister Shiri died of COVID-19, we will follow World Health Organisation regulations on how the funeral should proceed.
Former Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) Director of Banking Supervision and businessman Norman Mataruka died of coronavirus on 27 July 2020, amid reports he was refused admission at Parirenyatwa Hospital. In response, Parirenyatwa denied it failed to admit Mataruka. The hospital said they tried their best to resuscitate the late Mataruka who unfortunately succumbed to covid-19.
Whilst nothing was reported on the outcome of the Covid-19 test results which delayed his burial, Zanu PF Patriots tweeted that Guzah had died from Covid-19 writing,
Dr Keith Guzah died at his Harare home after a short illness which was later confirmed as breathing complication due to the novel coronavirus. His death was confirmed by long-time friend Dr Philip Chiyangwa and Ziyambi Ziyambi.
The late Zimbabwe Defence Forces director of public relations died on 31 July 2020. His death came three days after Shiri's.
Colonel Overson Mugwisi's death was confirmed by ZDF Director General, policy, public relations and international affairs, Brigadier General Augustine Chipwere.
At the time of his death, Mugwisi was reportedly on three months sick leave. Whilst there were no reports from State-owned media on the cause of Mugwisi's death, multiple private-owned media outlets reported that the late colonel, according to an unnamed close family member, had succumbed from Covid-19. The family member also said they had him admitted to a military hospital after they failed to get him admitted at both private and public hospitals.
ZBC journalist Janet Munyaka succumbed to Covid-19 on Saturday 05 December 2020. She had missed her graduation at the University of Zimbabwe on Friday after being hospitalised at St Anne’s Hospital. Munyaka was due to graduate with a Masters Degree in International Relations.
Dongozi who had been suffering from a heart ailment for a long period died on 23 December 2020 at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals. Medical reports later confirmed that he had succumbed to COVID-19. Consequently, several journalists who had attended a government National Development Strategy 1 workshop with him went into self-isolation.
Zigora was the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals before his dismissal in April 2019 for absentisim. On 30 December 2020, Zigora succumbed to COVID-19. He died at St. Anne's Hospital where he had been admitted for Covid-19 treatment.
The wife of the late nationalist and politician Nathan Shamuyarira, Dorothy died from Covid-19 at Parirenyatwa Hospital on 2 January 2021.
Heritage Mudiwa Nhende
Tawengwa had tested positive for Covid-19 in Marondera and suffered from shortness of breath, and was then taken to Harare for hospitalisation.
Philemon Mubata who was a prominent businessman in Gweru died in the early hours of 4 January 2021 while admitted to a private hospital in the city. His brother, Costa, confirmed his death saying he had left a huge scar not only to the Mubata family but the Gweru community as a whole. Mubata had complained of dizziness on 3 January 2021 at around 4 pm before his family decided to take him to the hospital at around 5pm.
Costa said at the hospital, his brother was tested for Covid-19 and the results returned positive.
He contracted Covid-19 a few days ago and to make matters worse he was asthmatic.
The late Regis’ young brother Itai was also said to be in isolation due to Covid-19.
Prominent Zimbabwean insolvency practitioner, Winsley Militala died on 10 January 2021. According to the publication The News Hawks, Militala died from Covid-19. His death came soon after he lost his son Tawanda Keith Militala.
Prominent sculptor Lazarus Takawira succumbed to Covid-19 on 13 January 2021 and was buried on 14 January 2021. His death was confirmed by his friend Olivier Sultan on social media. "I am terribly sad to announce the death of my dear friend, sculptor Lazarus Takawira from Covid-19," he said.
The National Arts Council of Zimbabwe (NACZ) director Nicholas Moyo described Takawira as a legend of Shona stone sculpture whose name is recognisable across the globe for his artworks.
"Our hearts were immediately filled with sorrow upon hearing the news of Lazarus’ passing. Our most sincere condolences go out to the Takawira family which has lost a father, grandfather and icon of Zimbabwean stone Sculpture," said Moyo.
My sincerest condolences to the Gwaradzimba and the entire Manicaland province family on the untimely passing on of Dr Ellen Gwaradzimba. She succumbed to COVID-19. We have been robbed once again of a hardworking and dedicated cadre. May her soul rest in eternal peace.
Yes, it’s true he had Covid-19 symptoms. He had shortness of breath.
A source who spoke to H-Metro said Kangara was rushed to a hospital in Chitungwiza in an ambulance on 7 January 2021. The source added that Kangara's health continued to deteriorate until he took his last breath on the 10th.
Zanu PF Masvingo provincial Secretary for Information, Ronald Ndava died from Covid-19 on 16 January 2021 at Chiredzi General Hospital where he was admitted. Ezra Chadzamira confirmed the death saying he received the news with great shock. He said:
“Cde Ndava’s death is a heavy blow to the province of Masvingo and the entire nation. He has left a vacuum that will be difficult to fill. Ndava was a hardworking cadre, a businessman and a family man”
Sibusiso Busi Moyo popularly known as SB Moyo died on 20 January 2021 from Covid-19. Highly placed sources told HSTv that SB Moyo who had been unwell for some time tested positive to COVID-19 two days before his death.
Professor Rosemary Moyana
I am very much pained to realise that due to COVID-19 devastation, this space has been reduced to mourning loved ones. Go well Prof Rosemary Moyana, our much loved Pro-Vice-Chancellor. A humble, gifted and passionate academic and top-level administrator.
Former Education Minister Aeneas Chigwedere died on 22 January 2021.
His death was confirmed by a family member Tafadzwa Shito who said Chigumba died at a local hospital where he had been admitted.
Joel Biggie Matiza
Joel Biggie Matiza died from Covid-19 on 22 January 2021. His death was confirmed by Nick Mangwana. Matiza was hospitalised a week before he died. He became the 4th minister to succumb to the respiratory illness.
Zimondi’s death came barely hours after the announcement of the death of Joel Biggie Matiza who also succumbed to COVID-19.
- Ex-RBZ boss succumbs to coronavirus, NewZimbabwe.com, Published: July 27, 2020, Retrieved: January 9, 2021
- Veteran journalist Dongozi dies, The Herald, Published: December 24, 2020, Retrieved: December 24, 2020
- Michael Gwarisa, #JUSTIN: Former Parirenyatwa CEO Zigora Dies From COVID-19, Health Times, Published: December 30, 2020, Retrieved: December 30, 2020
- Dorothy Shamuyarira, Lobels MD Nhende Succumb To Covid-19, NewZimbabwe.com, Published: January 2, 2021, Retrieved: January 4, 2021
- BREAKING: Zanu-PF UK/ EU District Chair Cde Tawengwa dies of Covid-19 . . ., The Herald, Published: December 31, 2020, Retrieved: January 4, 2021
- Fortune Chasi, Twitter, Published: January 2, 2021, Retrieved: January 4, 2021
- Freedom Mupanedemo, JUST IN: Prominent Gweru businesman succumbs to covid-19, The Herald, Published: Retrieved: January 4, 2021, January 5, 2021
- JUST IN: Transport Mogul Regis Munhenzva Succumbs To COVID-19, Pindula News, Published: January 7, 2021, Retrieved: January 7, 2021
- NewsNhau, Published: January 7, 2021, Retrieved: January 7, 2021
- Takudzwa Chitsiga, ZGA mourns Mabikacheche, The Herald, Published: January 8, 2021, Retrieved: January 8, 2021
- The News Hawks, Twitter, Published: January 10, 2021, Retrieved: January 10, 2021
- NewsDay, Twitter, Published: January 15, 2021, Retrieved: January 15, 2021
- Ellen Gwaradzimba succumbs to Covid-19, Zim Morning Post, Published: January 15, Retrieved: January 15, 2021
- Praise Masvosva, PROMOTER KANGARA LAID TO REST, H-Metro, Published: January 12, 2021, Retrieved: January 12, 2021
- Mercy Bofu, Zanu PF Masvingo provincial Secretary for Information dies - ZBC NEWS, ZBC, Published: January 16, 2021, Retrieved: January 16, 2021
- Mukudzei Chingwere, NRZ boss succumbs to Covid-19, The Herald, Published: January 19, 2021, Retrieved: January 19, 2021
- Cozwva, Twitter, Published: January 19, 2021, Retrieved: January 19, 2021
- State-assisted funeral for ex-RBZ governor, The Herald, Published: January 22, 2021, Retrieved: January 22, 2021
- HStv, Twitter, Published: January 20, 2021, Retrieved: January 20, 2021
- Prof Lovemore Madhuku, Twitter, Published: January 21, 2021, Retrieved: January 21, 2021
- ZimLive, Twitter, Published: January 22, 2021, Retrieved: January 22, 2021
- Advent, Christopher Chigumba Has Succumbed To COVID-19, Pindula News, Published: January 22, 2021, Retrieved: January 22, 2021
- Lovemore, Transport Minister Joel Biggie Matiza Succumbs To COVID-19, Pindula News, Published: January 22, 2021, Retrieved: January 23, 2021
- Advent, Former Prisons Boss Paradzai Zimondi Dies, Pindula News, Published: January 22, 2021, Retrieved: January 23, 2021