Market Development Manager: Enterprise Payments
The main purpose of this role is to effectively execute a product, sales and business development strategy, for driving pan-African expansion of Mukuru’s Enterprise Payments (EP) product offering - bulk remittances for juristic entities.
Mukuru requires a strategic and operationally exceptional Market Development Manager for Enterprise Payments, who embraces agile leadership and has a bias towards action. This person should thrive in a fastpaced and high growth fintech environment with a relatively flat organisational structure; expect a good balance of management and leading from the front operationally, bringing best practice to their function. They should take ownership and accountability for rapidly scaling Mukuru’s evolving Enterprise Payments offering across Africa, with its often contrasting technical, legal, regulatory and people requirements by country – a strong candidate will be able to identify business opportunities, develop suitable crossfunctional technical and people solutions, and sell those solutions. They should be comfortable working with a blend of developing technologies and processes, for which they will play an integral development role. They will be working closely with the Head of Enterprise Payments and the broader Commercial team to develop and execute a global sales and business development plan, with initial focus on disbursements across Southern Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop EP offerings across current and new markets for Mukuru in Africa
- Contribute significantly to the development of a commercial strategy for EP with a supporting 3-year product roadmap.
- NGO/Supranational/Donor/Government sector sales – expand the scope of business development discussions, elevating the level of centralised, top-tier decisionmaker engagement with Global Headquarters (or equivalent), and delivering strategically significant clients/partnerships.
- Drive Enterprise sales to MSME, Large Business, Government and NGOs
- Create strategies to maximise the EP product profits in a sustainable way.
- Meet assigned targets for profitable sales volumes and strategic objectives in assigned territories.
- Carry out market analysis and monitoring of micro and macro influences.
- Conduct competitor analysis as well as gap analysis.
- Develop the overall EP product offering and business support structures, both internal and customer-facing – tech, people and processes
- Product development: define requirements, design business processes and customer journeys, and go-to-market strategies.
- Business development and account management of strategic clients and partnerships at senior levels
- Provide timely feedback to line manager about performance, sales activity, account management and strategy.
- Identify opportunities to expand product and service offerings.
- Ensure opportunities are strategically and legally viable.
- Collaborate with in-country representatives and cross functional teams with regards to projects and partnerships
- Develop a strong network of contacts in order to develop prospects and leads with strategic prospects and partners.
- Negotiate with potential clients and partners in order to obtain mutually beneficial signed contracts.
- Implement best practice relationship management processes.
- Ensure the retention and growth of quality clients and partnerships.
- Actively engage with key clients and partners
- Identify ways to grow revenue and margin.
- Identify ways to maximise profit with partners.
- Provide assistance to the Head of Enterprise Payments on required commercial projects.
- Provide support and attend meetings when necessary.
- Provide strategic input when required.
- Keep abreast of all current market activities.
- Ensure a deep understanding of market trends, competitor positioning and offerings, key drivers of the business as well as industry best practice.
- Government and regulatory opportunities and risk factors
- Analyse the metrics and identify patterns.
- Develop competent and effective Business Development and Sales teams.
- Manage and mentor the team to meet assigned targets for profitable sales volumes and strategic objectives in assigned territories.
- Conduct performance reviews and monthly KPI discussions with direct reports.
- Manage HR related administration.
- Attend weekly KPI meeting with Enterprise Payments
- Attend monthly performance meeting with Enterprise Payments
- Attend all required training courses for new products.
- Participate in all required compliance training and assignments.
- Coach and mentor direct reports.
Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 /or equivalent (Essential).
- Bachelor’s degree in any business-related field (Essential).
- MBA or equivalent (desirable).
- 8 years’ experience in Business Development (Essential).
- In the remittance / FinTech industry (Desirable).
- Experience developing financial service solutions in collaboration with Product, Engineering and Operations teams (Essential) in the fintech space (Desirable).
- Experience managing a successful sales team (Essential) across multiple countries (Desirable).
- Experience working with governments, multi-national organisations, project implementers and system integrators/ consultants (Desirable).
- Experience/exposure to working in African countries (Desirable).
- Knowledge of businessto-business sales and proposal writing.
- Knowledge of commercial agreements.
- Knowledge of personal and business remittances, financial services, and foreign exchange principles.
- Knowledge of Product development – translating business requirements to definitions and requirements for technical solutions.
- Knowledge of NGO, Supranational, Donor and Government sectors.
- Knowledge of remittance processes and systems.
- Strong Negotiation and Sales skills.
- Management skills.
- Influencing skills.
- Strategic and analytical skills.
- Leadership and stakeholder management skills.
- Multitasking skills.
- Computer skills.
- Verbal communication skills.
- Time management skills.
- Organisational & administrative skills.
- Conflict management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Remote working skills.
How to Apply
NB: Should you be appointed in a remote/work from home role at Mukuru, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have uninterrupted internet connectivity and a ‘work-like’ environment at your home location, in order to deliver your best in terms of performance, productivity and service to our customers. If you do not receive any response after two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Deadline: 17 April 2023Generate a Whatsapp Message
Mukuru is an Africa-based Fintech company that gives the emerging consumer access to affordable and reliable financial services. Our foundation is built on international money transfers – helping you to move money into, out of, and around Africa. Whether you are sending cash for instant collection or topping up a bank account or mobile wallet, it has never been easier. From this base we’ve grown to provide a broad range of services to answer all the financial needs of our customers. Harare